Essential Job Functions
As the R&D Manager you lead and manage the Research & Development (R&D) team in the fulfilment of the program of projects and work, required and agreed on with TKI BU’s the and their strategic plans. You provide critical chemical science input to all TKI manufacturing processes.
- Actively manage and lead the creation and maintenance of a safe and healthy work environment for all employees.
- Lead the research & development projects in collaboration with the Director Business Development and Innovation and also with TKI BU Directors and stakeholders elsewhere in the Tessenderlo Group.
- You are ultimately the senior voice in chemistry and science within the TKI organization.
- Stimulate the innovation of and ultimately develop products and applications, in line with BU strategies.
- You lead and supervise communication all R&D employees and teams.
- You lead and contribute to the development of new technologies, applications and products.
- You prepare reports and analysis for products.
- You ensure that the need for sustainability in our products and processes, is realized.
- Be active with TKI customers, academic institutions and research centers, in understanding and promoting their potential future product and applications. Follow the stage gate process to deliver results to support business growth.
- Act as a Senior Leader present at the TKI Research facility.
- Build and train the team of appropriate R&D based resources and skills, in line with TKI/ BU needs and strategies
- Be a critical contributor in the definition and protection of Intellectual Property (IP). Become the TKI expert in patent and IP knowledge. Provide support to the IP Group in patent preparation.
- Prepare and deliver learning support to the BU’s where required.
Skills & Knowledge Required
Master degree in Chemistry
10+ years of relevant experience required
Understands SH&E regulations as they apply to one's area of responsibility and performs duties within this framework
Commercially savvy in business outlook and activities. Have the ability to link science to business and vice versa.
Strong business acumen, connecting chemistry to products and opportunities
Knowledge and experience in sulfur based chemistry is highly desirable, including liquid fertilizer applications
Experience and knowledge in the defense and promotion of IP
Demonstrates behavior according to the Tessenderlo Group Attitudes
Excellent analytical skills
Excellent networking skills, ability to develop contacts with industry experts
Strong facilitation and presentation skills. Strong in traversal and interdependent partnering with other departments, especially with Manufacturing, Sales and R&D
- Lab service (Quality Control)
- Business Units
- External Resources
Key Metrics Areas:
- SHE compliance and performance
- Stage Gate metrics
- Balanced Scorecard- GPS
- Business Development- New Business created over a multi-year period
- Personnel & Succession ladder development
- TKI/TG/BU Vision/Mission/Objectives alignment
Tessenderlo Kerley, Inc., is a company of diverse businesses unified by shared values and vision. We serve the agriculture, mining, industrial and water reclamation markets with a broad range of products and technologies, worldwide. Serving these customers well is a passion and a commitment-one which the people of TKI find rewarding, empowering and meaningful.
If you want the work you do to make a positive impact on the world in which we live, working alongside innovative, quality-focused people of vision, then TKI is the right place for you.
As a part of the worldwide specialty company Tessenderlo Group, Tessenderlo Kerley, Inc. (TKI) produces and markets specialty chemical solutions, including fertilizers, crop protection products and process chemicals and services to diverse markets around the world. TKI operates 11 manufacturing plants in North America in addition to an extensive terminal network. TKI is a growing company headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona.
Why join TKI:
- Work/life balance
- Fun and rewarding environment
- Learning, development and team work
- Community involvement/outreach
- Challenging and meaningful work
Benefits & Rewards:
- Medical-Dental-Vision-Prescription (low employee premiums!)
- 401k Plan with dollar for dollar matching, up to the first 5% of employee contribution
- 401k Company Retirement Contribution at year-end, equal to 4% of annual base salary
- Short-Term Incentive awards based on measured performance criteria
- Life Insurance – 2x Annual Base Salary
- Paid vacation & sick time & 10 paid holidays per year
- Tuition Reimbursement- up to $5,000 per calendar year- Non Taxable
- Adoption Assistance-up to $7,500 in reimbursement assistance
- Business Travel Life & Accident Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Telemedicine program - for you and your dependents
- Long-Term Disability insurance
- Company referral program